Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Song of the Day: "All You Zombies" by The Hooters

Zombies shall be the theme of the day ... since I feel like the walking dead. I spent all last night working ... and working ... and eating inexpensively delicious Chinese food. Ah, General Tso ... I sleep better every night knowing that your existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible, saves lives. I want you on that wall ... I NEED YOU ON THAT WALL. YOU'RE GODDAMNED RIGHT GENERAL TSO ORDERED THE CODE RED!!!

Sorry, I digress.

So, anywho, I am massively tired. Did my duty to my company. Observed a gaggle of students deliver speeches which, luckily, weren't too shabby. Then, went on home to start working again.

And I find myself asking this question: why?

The nature of work is to make sufficient funds to cover one's debts and to enjoy life. John Locke wrote that we have the inalienable right to life, liberty and property which Thomas Jefferson, being oh so cutting edge, amended property to mean "pursuit of happiness" (which, being a wealthy landowner, he had the luxury of making the delination).

That being said, at what point does the pursuit of success actually retard these pursuits. All work and no play makes Joe, God of Marketing Communications, a dull boy.

Studies have demonstrated for years that employees who balance home life and work life are more productive. So why can't I achieve that balance?

At some point, my work will begin to suffer (if it hasn't already) and that will inhibit my utility as an employee. If that proceeds too far, I will be terminated. Thus, my inalienable rights are jeopardized by my pursuit of the vehicle to achieve those rights.

Holy Conundrum, Batman.

Maybe I should have just gone to law school. You don't really need a soul to survive.

1 Comments:

Blogger Theseus said...

hah interesting.

8:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home